3-Tab Shingles and Architectural Shingles
What is the Difference Between the Two
Today, we revisit an age-old question in roofing: the debate between 3-Tab Shingles and Architectural Shingles. Times change, and so do roofing trends. We are here to bring you the latest information on these shingle styles.
The Evolution of Shingle Choices
In the past, most homes in the Canton area older than a decade featured the traditional 3-Tab shingle. But things have changed since then, and keeping up with the times is essential. Architectural shingles have been making waves and have risen in popularity across Atlanta homes.
Understanding the Basics
3-Tab Shingles vs. Architectural Shingles
3-Tab shingles are aptly named for their structure: three individual tabs, each 12 inches wide. With 20 to 30-year warranties, these asphalt-based shingles work by shedding water downward to the shingle below.
Architectural shingles, on the other hand, have evolved with time. Starting with a minimum 30-year warranty, many now offer lifetime guarantees. These shingles consist of two asphalt strips laminated together, creating a dimensional appearance that initially aimed to mimic wood shake roofs.
The Advantages of Architectural Shingles
So, what’s the big deal about architectural shingles? Allow me to break it down for you:
- Enhanced Aesthetics: Architectural shingles bring better curb appeal to your home with their dynamic and textured appearance.
- Extended Lifespan: With a longer warranty, you can rest easy knowing your roof is built to last.
- Built to Withstand: Architectural shingles are designed to handle higher wind speeds, providing robust protection against the elements.
- Guarding Against Hail: Living in a region prone to hailstorms? Architectural shingles offer improved resistance against hail impact.
- Fighting Algae Stains: Many architectural shingles are designed to resist black algae stains, preserving your roof’s visual appeal over time.
Comparing the Costs
Here’s the deal: Architectural shingles offer a significant step up, but it’s crucial to consider your budget. Let’s put it in financial terms:
|Architectural Shingle (25 Year)
|25 Years or More
|Up to 60 MPH
|Up to 130 MPH (with proper installation)
The price gap between 3-Tab shingles and architectural shingles has widened to $18-30 per square. On a typical 30-square house, this cost can add between $540.00-$900.00 to the price of materials. While architectural shingles offer clear benefits, the decision may come down to your budget.
Why the 3-Tab vs. Architectural Update Matters
You might be wondering why we’re revisiting this topic. Roofing isn’t static; it evolves with technology, materials, and consumer preferences. At Fowler Exteriors, we’re committed to providing you with the most current and valuable information to make informed decisions about your roofing projects.
Understanding the available shingle choices is crucial whether you’re in Canton, Atlanta, or anywhere between. If you’re intrigued by these numbers, contact us at (770) 800-8758. We’re happy to provide shingle samples and showcase real-life examples around your home.