When Heavy Rain Strikes
There’s no denying the power of Mother Nature, especially when it comes to heavy rainfall. Recently, we’ve witnessed the skies open up here in Georgia, with a decent amount of rain. The heavy rainfall can worry homeowners as the potential for leaks and damage increases exponentially during such storms. But fear not! Fowler Exteriors is here to guide you through what to do next.
Spotting the Problem
The first step is acknowledging that there might be a problem. During or after a storm, you may notice signs of water penetration in your home. The signs could be anything from damp patches on the walls, ceilings, or floors to a noticeable drip or even a stream of water. It’s important to act swiftly once you identify these signs.
- Damp Patches: These might appear on walls, ceilings, or floors. They may feel wet or cold to the touch and could cause wallpaper or paint to peel.
- Visible Leaks: A noticeable drip or even a stream of water can indicate a severe issue.
- Unusual Odors: Musty smells can suggest the presence of mold or mildew, often caused by moisture.
- Stained or Discolored Walls: Water stains or discoloration on walls or ceilings are a clear sign of water damage.
- Warped or Buckling Surfaces: If your floors, walls, or ceilings start warping or buckling, this could be due to water absorption.
- Condensation: Excessive condensation on windows or walls can signal high humidity levels in your home, possibly due to water leakage.
Calling in the Experts
Upon spotting any leakage or damage, your immediate action should be to contact a professional. At Fowler Exteriors, we are equipped to evaluate the situation and offer expert advice. Our team will conduct a thorough inspection, identifying the issue’s root cause and determining the extent of the damage on the roof or siding, starting with an inspection of the home’s interior and attic and continuing to the outside to finish with the roof, siding, and gutter inspections. Remember, it’s always wise to call professionals to diagnose and fix the problem.
Contacting Your Insurance Company
- Review Your Policy: Understanding your homeowner’s insurance policy is vital. It will outline what types of water damage are covered. Policies can vary greatly, so knowing the specifics of your coverage is essential.
- Document the Damage: Before cleanup begins, document the damage. Take photographs and make notes of all affected areas. The pictures will be crucial when filing your claim.
- Contact Your Insurance Provider: As soon as possible, contact your insurance provider to notify them of the damage. They’ll guide you through the steps to file a claim.
- Prepare for the Adjuster’s Visit: An insurance adjuster will likely visit your home to assess the damage. Keep all evidence of the damage and any repair estimates on hand for their review.
- Understand the Claims Process: Each insurance company has its own claims process. They’ll let you know what paperwork needs to be filled out, what documents you must provide, and the timeline for processing the claim.
If the inspection reveals extensive damage, it might be time to involve your insurance company. Depending on your policy, some or all of the repair costs might be covered. Navigating insurance claims can be confusing, but we at Fowler Exteriors are here to support you. We’ll help you understand what your insurance covers and guide you through the necessary steps to make a claim.
Scheduling Repairs or Replacement
Once the damage has been evaluated and your insurance company has been informed, the next step is to schedule a repair or replacement. Whether patching up a leaky roof, repairing a damaged chimney, or replacing damaged siding, we’ve got you covered. Our professionals will work diligently to restore your home to its pre-damage state.
Finally You Can Rest Easy
Finally comes the most comforting step – breathing a sigh of relief. When the repairs or replacements are complete, you can rest easy knowing your home is safeguarded against water damage. At Fowler Exteriors, we pride ourselves on our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. We won’t rest until you’re safe and sound.
So when heavy rain strikes, remember this guide and take the appropriate steps to protect your home. With knowledge and preparation, you can weather any storm, and remember, we’re just a call away and ready to help protect your home against the elements. Stay safe, Georgia!