Does My Roof Need Drip Edge?
The drip edge at both the rake and the eaves is one of the most commonly disregarded components of a modern roofing system. Although it is a standard element in some regions of the country, the majority of Atlanta roofers did not offer it. Because it was not included in the majority of municipalities’ construction codes until 2014. Now it is required drip edge be installed at eaves and gables of shingle roofs. It is particularly important to have drip edge in our area due to the intense storms that we experience. If your roof doesn’t have the metal flashing installed, we recommend adding it to your roof whenever it is serviced or replaced.
If you’re looking to have on your roof repaired in the Canton area, you’ve come to the right place! Contact Fowler Homes online to schedule drip edge installation in the Atlanta metro area or call 770-744-5992!
What Is Drip Edge?
Drip edge is a metal flashing that is installed at the edges of the roof to help control the flow of water away from the fascia and to protect the underlying roofing components. The metal flashing overhangs the sides of the roof. It has a small metal flange that is bent away from the fascia. Drip Edge is non-corrosive and non-staining so that your roof looks good but is structurally stable.
Reasons to Use Drip Edge:
- Directs water away from the fascia and prevents water from rotting the fascia over time.
- Protects the edge of the decking due to water penetration during driving rains.
- Seals any gaps at the bottom of the roof. There is often a gap between the decking and the fascia which could allow small animals to enter the attic.
- Helps protect the bottom of the roofline during ice dams that can occur during the winter months.
- Prevents movement between fascia and deck boards.
- Assists gutters to direct water away from your house and foundation.
- Extends the longevity of your roof and improves its overall effectiveness.
Do I Really Need It?
Yes! Drip edge can still be added to your roof today. Especially if your home was one of the many homes in the Canton to Alpharetta area that did not have it installed before it was required. Contractors frequently inform homeowners that the metal flashing can be a waste of money or unnecessary, applying the principle of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Even though they know drip edge will stop your fascia or decking at the eaves and rakes from deteriorating.
Now drip edge is a requirement for all new roof installs, and not having it installed will result in code violations for your home.
For additional information on drip edge and why you should consider it, or to schedule a roof replacement in the Alpharetta or surrounding areas, please call at (770) 871-2339 or contact us online!