All roofs will eventually wear down from wind, storms, hail, snow, and other environmental factors. A regular roof inspection is essential in keeping your roof in its best health for many years to come and is key in knowing when it’s time for a replacement.
Fowler Homes is committed to keeping our neighbors safe with a strong and solid roof over their head. Give us a call at 770-744-5992 or contact us online to schedule your Canton roof inspection!
What Our Canton Roof Inspection Includes
- Hail Inspection: Most homeowners are leery of filing unnecessary claims with their homeowner’s insurance company when it comes to roof damage due to hail. To better help the homeowner in the decision-making process, Fowler Homes will inspect your roof just as an insurance adjuster might. Though adjusters will make their own call on what is and isn’t hail damage, we always do our best to let you know what damage we found on your roof. Our inspectors will perform a test square inspection, soft metal inspection, and collateral damage inspection.
- Wind Damage Inspection: Fowler Homes inspects every roof for damage caused by strong winds. While missing shingle tabs can easily be seen from the ground, it’s sometimes harder to see shingles that are creased from being blown up by wind or are no longer sealed properly because of dirt and debris.
- Reparability Inspection: Not every roof that has a leak needs to be totally replaced. Often, we can repair any damage that was caused as long as it is localized. To determine our ability to repair your roof, we test the shingles to determine their pliability. If shingles are too brittle, it may not be possible to simply replace one shingle without damaging the surrounding shingles.
- Window Inspection: Homeowners often misdiagnose a window leak as a roof leak. If any windows are above the roofline, Fowler Homes inspects the window to ensure proper installation and window flashings.
- Step Flashing Inspection: Step flashing is used at the diagonal roof to wall transitions. Improperly installed or rusted step flashing is often the cause of major leaks that are sometimes hard to pinpoint. Fowler Homes inspects your step flashing, ensuring that it is securely fastened and not rusted from years of exposure to the elements.
- Counter Flashing Inspection: Counter flashings are commonly used around chimneys, overstep flashings, and anywhere else there might be a roof to wall transition. Fowler Homes inspects all counter flashings to ensure they are properly sealed.
- Drip Edge Inspection: Fowler Homes inspects both the eaves and rakes for installation of drip edge. Drip edge is not commonly found on roofs in North Georgia, but some jurisdictions have added drip edge to their building codes.
- Chimney Inspection: Another common area for leaks is chimneys. Though the chimney isn’t necessarily part of the roofing system, it can cause major leaks that are often mistaken for roof failure. To rule out any possible problems with the chimney, Fowler Homes visually inspects the chimney to assure it’s sealed properly and can protect against water intrusion.
- Pipe Boot Inspection: The number one cause of leaks on most roofs is the deterioration of the pipe boots that seal around plumbing exhaust vents. Most roofs around Atlanta are roofed with a plastic boot that has a neoprene seal. Due to ultraviolet light, the neoprene dry rots and allows water into the home. Fowler Homes will inspect the seals on all pipe boots.
- Valley Inspection: Fowler Homes inspects all valleys (where the roof planes intersect) for proper flashing and installation. Heavy rains can cause rushing water to penetrate beneath the shingles and without proper flashing, water will enter the home.
- Decking Inspection: Fowler Homes visually inspects the decking during roof leaks to help pinpoint the leak and to check for any rotting that may have occurred. Roof decking cannot be fully inspected until the current roofing is removed.
- HVAC Penetration Inspection: The metal pipes that exit your home through the roof are HVAC exhaust vents. These vents are often installed incorrectly because they are usually installed by the HVAC installer on new home builds. Fowler Homes will inspect the vents for proper installation.
- Roof Ventilation Inspection: Most homes with roofs over ten years old are improperly ventilated. A proper roof ventilation system is evenly balanced at the eves and ridge to ensure airflow beneath the decking. Roof vents help keep the attic cooler during summer and prevent condensation buildup in the winter. We inspect your roof to make sure there is enough ventilation for your roof size.
- Nail Head Inspection: Improper nailing is a common problem found on the roofs of older homes. Some installers nail too high, too low, or don’t use enough nails in general. Nails can back out during expansion and contraction of the decking and cause a “nail pop.” Fowler Homes will check for any nail pops and ensure shingles are properly nailed with enough fasteners.
- Blistering Inspection: Asphalt-based shingles can sometimes blister in the hot Georgia summer due to moisture being trapped in the shingle or improper ventilation. Blisters themselves are not always a problem; however, the blisters eventually pop, causing the granules that protect the shingle from ultraviolet light to fall off. Fowler Homes inspects the roof for signs of blistering that cannot always be seen from the ground.
Schedule a 15-Point Roof Inspection in Canton, GA Today
The goal of our roof inspection is to thoroughly inspect the entire roofing system to ensure that no part is weak. We strongly believe that it is more cost efficient for the homeowner to take care of a potential problem before it becomes a major issue that could consequently call for a completely new roof.
To learn more about our roof inspection process or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at 770-744-5992 or contact us online!